Emergency Management Agency Staff
The Hancock County EMA effectively manages a comprehensive emergency plan to promote a safer, less vulnerable community in Hancock County with the following resources:
Make Your Own Ready Kit
Make your own Ready Kit with items on the checklist below. Most of the items are inexpensive, easy to find, and any one of them could save your life. Once you take a look at the basic items, consider what unique needs your family might have, such as supples for pets, seniors or family members with special needs. Add those items to your kits and start packing it today.
- Water: One gallon per person per day, for at least 3 days, for drinking and sanitation
- Food: At least a 3-day supply of non-perishable food
- Can opener: For food, if kit contains canned food
- Radio: Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert, and extra batteries for both
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Whistle. To signal for help
- Face mask. To help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter in place
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties: For personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers: To turn off utilities
- Local maps
- Prescription medications and glasses
- Infant formula and diapers
- Pet food, extra water, pet supplies, toys and vaccination forms.
- Important family documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account records in a waterproof, portable container
- Cash or traveler’s checks and change
- Emergency reference material such as a first aid book or information from Ready America
- Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person. Consider adding bedding in cold weather.
- Complete change of clothing. Include a long sleeved shirt, long pants and sturdy shoes. Consider adding clothing in cold weather.
- Household chlorine bleach and medicine dropper
- Fire extinguisher
- Matches in a waterproof container
- Feminine supplies and personal hygiene items
- Mess kits, paper cups, plates, plastic utensils, paper towels
- Paper and pencil
- Books, games, puzzles or other activities for children